Week: week 4-12
Duration: Own speed
The RYA Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased course will teach you how to use a sextant to determine your position by use of the sight reduction tables and the nautical almanac. You will also learn about the four stages of a passage plan and the basics of ocean navigation. By the end of the week, you will:
– be comfortable in the use of a sextant to take sights for the sun, and also moon, planets and selected stars
– convert (‘reduce’) sights into a position and plot a fix onto a navigation chart
– be able to prepare an ocean passage plan through all its stages, taking vessel, weather, time of year, crew, etc into consideration
Theory knowledge at day skipper level is recommended.
The exam to obtain the Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased certificate consists of a written examination divided in two:
– a first part where you will be asked to plot a position via sight reductions
– a second part where you will be asked to detail your considerations with regards to an ocean passage
Upon successful completion of the assessment paper, you will obtain the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased certificate.
After obtaining the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Certificate, you will be able to sit the practical exam to achieve the Yachtmaster Ocean qualification. This is a different exam which needs to be organised separately.