Week: week 4-12
Duration: Own speed
This course will guide you to thoroughly master the process of calculating tidal heights and tidal streams. This will help you calculate your estimated position (EP) and Course To Steer (CTS) in tidal waters. We will also refresh your knowledge about the ‘rules of the road’ (Colregs), signs and signals, and weather. Extensive time will be spent dealing with passage planning, taking into account all of the elements above, tidal streams, and more.
The course is administered over 40+ hours of tuition, split over two weekends, also including some interactive online webinars. After taking this course you will:
– Be able to properly work out tidal heights in both primary and secondary ports
– Be capable of calculating tidal streams
– Master the calculation of Course To Steer and be able to safely plan your passage
– Go through the 4 essential steps of a passage planning
– Obtain the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Certificate
Theory knowledge at day skipper level
There are three exam papers to go through to obtain your certificate, focussed on chartwork, IRPCS and passage planning. If successful, you will obtain the Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased certificate.